Monday, December 5, 2011

The happiest of holidays

I just put up a string of lights in my room and am really ready for this shitshow of a semester to be over! Here's some holiday music to fit the mood.


["Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" - She & Him]

This pared down cover of the Judy Garland classic is really lovely with some nicely restrained instrumentals. I'm not a big She & Him fan--I like Zooey's voice but it can be really cloying sometimes-- but in this song, she doesn't really stray into the nasally cuteness she sometimes affects.

Also worth checking out is their sped-up version of "Baby, It's Cold Outside" where they switch genders. I really appreciate this because it sounds a lot less like a date rape about to happen. ("Say, what's in this drink?" ROOFIES. RUN, GIRL.)


["Linus and Lucy" - Vince Guaraldi]

"Linus and Lucy" might be more closely associated with the Charlie Brown TV specials than Christmas, but it counts because it made its first appearance in A Charlie Brown Christmas. Maybe something like "Christmas Time Is Here" would've been more appropriate, but I just like this better.

No comments:

Post a Comment